Sunday, May 13, 2012

Service Learning

Antonio J. Bestard (909) 208-0093


Working with Antonio was probably my favorite part of my senior year project. Meeting tons of attorneys and judges was the best experience I’ve had ever had. Antonio helped me with so much; he helped me understand the real meaning of criminal law. I hardly knew anything walking in Antonio’s office and now I know more than ever. Answering phone calls, filling papers, going to court, helping with cases definitely all paid off. There’s not one thing I would change while working with attorney Antonio J. Bestard.



What is most important to winning a criminal case? The most important thing to winning a criminal case is to create reasonable doubt in the minds of jury. Working with my number one person (Antonio) who helped me established my first answer gave me a big head start on my essential question. Throughout my service learning and trying to figure out my best answer to my essential question while working with Antonio going to court was the best help because I watched Antonio use reasonable doubt in the minds of jury. Giving my feedback to Antonio after reading cases also helped me because I had to figure out ways to prove that the defendant wasn’t guilty. So many things fall in place with “what’s most important to winning a criminal case” such as my other two answers; motions to dismiss and innocent until proven guilty. By creating reasonable doubt in the minds of jury an attorney should question any and all witnesses, negotiate deals and terms with prosecutors that may result in reducing charges and lesser sentence, suggest alternatives that a judge may consider, provide you with honest assessments of where your case is headed and your alternatives to avoid trial. I can honestly say every second  I spent with Antonio, I  was learning something new which helped me find my best answer and as well as my second and third.


No comments:

Post a Comment